Friday, March 9, 2012

OCD



For my whole adult life, I have been self-conscious about my tendency to be a bit OCD.  I always worry that I will annoy people by being so thorough, so fastidious, so knit-picky, etc.  I'm always apologizing for these behaviors, both verbally and with my body language.


Recently, I've experienced the benefits of being so particular, so attentive to detail-----it means that I do a good job on a number of things (where this would be important)!  That high standard for the quality of every detail of what I'm working on has been noticed both in my Montessori activities and my work in fashion.  It really boosted  my confidence to, for the first time, acknowledge that something I've always considered a failing might actually be an asset (while still underscoring that it can also be a hinderence in certain ways and activities).  


I don't feel, for once, that I need to apologize for the way that I am, but that it is what makes me great at what I do! :)

2 comments:

  1. What about that picture is OCD?

    -B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose it may take someone with the tendencies I described to notice ;), but the plaid on the front and back pieces of the shirt match up horizontally, and the stitching on the vent is calculated to match the side-seam stitching. Overall, the construction of the piece is precise and intentional, so that everything aligns with as much precision as is possible when working with textiles.

      Delete